9.01.2007

Rivermaya: Bagong Liwanag

I think it's high time that I break the silence this blog has been having for the longest time. To say that I've been doing a lot of soul-searching might be a good excuse, but nevertheless it won't be accepted. After all, it is still schoolwork here.

Things have been rather different and quite the same ever since Rivermaya started holding auditions for their new member/s. The usual "go for it!" and "kaya mo yan!" have been filling my ears from everywhere - family, friends, blockmates, heck, even professors...not that I mind, though. It's just that, all of a sudden people here and there gave me 5 minutes of their time to wish me luck.

It's a totally competitive field. This, I felt even before the August. 24 audition began. As early as 8:30am I was already lined up to et my number and registration form. Dad told me that I should expect detractors and people who'd say lots of crap, but, instead of that, I found a great environment, with great people and great talent, all willing to gather, not just to be handpicked as the next bandmate of Mike Elgar, Japs Sergio and Mark Escueta, but simply, in the name of music and all things creative.

Let's keep the story brief. I made it in the top 75 (I was given the 11th vocalist finalist pass by Francis Reyes of The Dawn and NU107.=D) in the first audition days, but didn't make it to the final 12 in the semifinals. Still, something to be thankful for would be that I made it to the semis. After all, it is Rivermaya, and there were 400+ who auditioned during the UP auditions. There's no reason for me to be bitter (like some of my co-finalists felt after they weren't picked for the 24 to be skinned alive as the final 12), because I know there's a reason why. And that reason, I gladly acknowledge, and accept with arms wide open. On top of it all, I know that I have a family to come home to and celebrate with, and a love who never left my side whenever it mattered the most.

"I'll kiss you if you make it, and I'll kiss you even if you don't."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home